Thursday, February 2, 2012

Some Words From the Wise

I know that many of us who are currently undergoing treatment or just finishing up treatment are experiencing an unnerving side effect: The constant worry of whether or not our cancer will come back.

I would like to share with you some words of wisdom that a friend and breast cancer survivor emailed to me yesterday. It is a little "trick" that she uses to shut out the negative worry from overtaking her.

She tells herself: "I do not have cancer TODAY. I do not have a doctor appointment TODAY so I cannot be diagnosed. This may all change TOMORROW but TODAY I am cancer free."

She says this mantra helps her manage one day at a time.

Words of wisdom for us all.

Thank you, P!

3 comments:

  1. A great mantra and well worth trying it. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, Jen. I was becoming a bit obsessed with that tought for a while.....what if.....I soon realized that I was needlessly making myself miserable. As a Reiki practitioner, I recite my Reiki Ideals each day, one of which is "Just for today I let go of worry", much the same as the mantra your friend gave you. It works for me (most of the time:)
    Cancer Warrior
    www.perksofcancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy. You really spoke to me today. I am done with chemo and radiation and have been discharged out of the oncology department back to my surgeon. At my last meeting with the oncologist he used the word survivor which really took me by surprise. I still feel like a patient and to many look like a patient as my hair slowly returns but I am still rocking the bandana look. It is taking some time to make the mindshift and I have given up reading a few of the blogs I follow as they have left me feeling even more insecure. I will have to write this one day and have it near my bed. Thank you. Catherine

    ReplyDelete