Monday, June 20, 2011

Surgical consultation

It's been awhile since I updated this blog. A lot has happened since my last post on June 9 - most notably my consultation appointment with my surgeon.

My husband and I met with Dr. K at his surgical office in Richmond. He was a really nice man, older but very energetic and upbeat. He was extremely optimistic about his ability to remove my tumor and get clear margins with a lumpectomy. He went on to tell that us that 40% of patients who undergo a lumpectomy do not get clear margins and have to have a second surgery. He said his rate of success was much better - 20%.

He explained his technique for performing the lumpectomy and assured us that we would barely be able to tell he had done anything. He said I would not need any kind of reconstruction and said that I would look great in a bathing suit top or a bra. He said I might have a small dimple where he removes the tumor and surrounding tissue but again - he was confident that it would be minimal and my results would be terrific.

We discussed the sentinel node biopsy and Dr. K felt extremely confident that there would be no cancer in my sentinel node. We liked everything we heard and left his office with an overwhelming sense of optimism.

Surgery is scheduled for July 13. More waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment